We’re pleased to announce that Camber Community Group is running its first Recycle Swap Shop! It will take place on Sat 14 May, from 12pm-2pm at the Camber Memorial Hall, Lydd Road, Camber, TN31 7RJ.
Transition Rye is pleased to be supporting this new venue for the popular series of events, and will be sending several volunteers along to help at Camber. Apart from the different time (12pm-2pm), the event will work along the same lines as the series in Rye, as detailed below.
What is a ‘recycle swap shop’?
Many of us have things in our homes which we no longer want or use, but we feel are too good to throw away. These things sit around, sometimes for years, waiting for us to find the right person to give them to, and eventually they may end up being thrown in the bin.
This Recycle Swap Shop is an event run by Camber Community Group with support from Transition Rye to provide an alternative for local people who would prefer to recycle such unwanted items to others in the community, rather than throw them away.
- You can bring your items to the hall and leave them there for others to take away.
- At the same time, you can look around and see if there is anything you’d like to take away yourself!
- You are welcome to only bring stuff, or to only take stuff, or to just come along and browse and have some free refreshments and a chat. This is a social event too, where everyone wins!
- Anything left over will be disposed of through Rye Freegle, charity shops or recycling, as appropriate.
- Takers get things they want for free!
- We all end up with a chance to meet other local families for a chat, and we put less rubbish in land-fill, both helping the environment and saving tax-payers’ money.
A few points to note:
- Please bring items before 1pm, so there’s time for people to take them.
- All items MUST be 100% free and must be from domestic (not commercial) sources.
- Please try to bring things as early as possible and certainly before 1pm
- If you have bulky items, like bikes or furniture, then please don’t bring these to the Recycle Swap Shop. Items such as this are best recycled through Rye Freegle. Only bring items that can easily be carried by one person to the Recycle Swap Shop.
- Don’t bring anything illegal!
- Don’t bring anything dangerous (no sharp knives, weapons, etc)
- No pets or livestock.
- No rubbish. Please don’t bring anything that really is no good to anyone. The Recycle Swap Shop is run a small group of local people who volunteer their time to organise these events and we don’t want to end up with a whole room full of rubbish to take to the dump!
- No mains electrical items.