This month we have another Recycle Swap Shop! It will be on Sat 13 July at the Tilling Green Community Centre, Mason Road, Rye! Doors open at 09:30, if you have stuff to bring, please bring it as early as possible, but definitely before 11am. You can browse and take stuff any time from 09:30-11:30, but best not to leave it until the last minute! Remember, you DO NOT need to bring stuff, we’re very happy for people to come and just take stuff away – in fact we need people to do this, or there’s too much left over at the end… More details on how it works below.
The intended dates of the next swap shop is Sat 11 May at St Mary’s Centre, but please check back nearer the time, as sometimes we have to change the date
Here’s a few pics from past Recycle Swap Shops at Tilling Green:
What is a ‘recycle swap shop’?
Many of us have things in our homes which we no longer want or use, but we feel are too good to throw away. These things sit around, sometimes for years, waiting for us to find the right person to give them to, and eventually they may end up being thrown in the bin.
This Recycle Swap Shop is an event run by Tilling Green Residents Association and Transition Rye to provide an alternative for local people who would prefer to recycle such unwanted items to others in the community, rather than throw them away.
- You can bring your items to the hall and leave them there for others to take away.
- At the same time, you can look around and see if there is anything you’d like to take away yourself!
- You are welcome to only bring stuff, or to only take stuff, or to just come along and browse and have some free refreshments and a chat. This is a social event too, where everyone wins!
- Anything left over will be disposed of through Rye Freegle, charity shops or recycling, as appropriate.
- Takers get things they want for free!
- We all end up with a chance to meet other local families for a Saturday morning chat, and we put less rubbish in land-fill, saving both the environment and tax-payers’ money.
A few points to note:
- Please bring items before 11am, so there’s time for people to take them.
- All items MUST be 100% free and must be from domestic (not commercial) sources.
- Please try to bring things as early as possible and certainly before 11am
- If you have bulky items, like bikes or furniture, then please don’t bring these to the Recycle Swap Shop. Items such as this are best recycled through Rye Freegle. Only bring items that can easily be carried by one person to the Recycle Swap Shop.
- Don’t bring anything illegal!
- Don’t bring anything dangerous (no sharp knives, weapons, etc.)
- No pets or livestock.
- No rubbish. Please don’t bring anything that really is no good to anyone. The Recycle Swap Shop is run a small group of local people who volunteer their time to organise these events and we don’t want to end up with a whole room full of rubbish to take to the dump!
- No mains electrical items.