What is a ‘recycle swap shop’?
Many of us have things in our homes which we no longer want or use, but we feel are too good to throw away. These things sit around, sometimes for years, waiting for us to find the right person to give them to, and eventually they may end up being thrown in the bin.
This Recycle Swap Shop is an event run by Tilling Green Residents Association, St Mary’s Ecology and Transition Rye to provide an alternative for local people who would prefer to recycle such unwanted items to others in the community, rather than throw them away.
- You can bring your items to the event and leave them there for others to take away.
- At the same time, you can look around and see if there is anything you’d like to take away yourself!
- You do not have to bring stuff – you’re welcome to come along and browse or stop for a chat. This is a social event too, where everyone wins!
- Anything left over will be disposed of through Rye Freegle, charity shops or recycling, as appropriate.
- Takers get things they want for free!
- We all end up with a chance to meet other local families for a Saturday morning chat, we pick up useful stuff for free, and we put less rubbish in land-fill, saving both the environment and tax-payers’ money!
- Refreshments are available at the event (small charge).
- The event is free, and there is no charge for bringing or taking stuff. We do have costs, such as hiring the venue and carrying out publicity, so there’s the opportunity to leave donations as you leave the event. This isn’t compulsory though.
Here’s a few pictures from past events (click them to view full-size versions), scroll past them for important points to note if you’re coming to a recycle swap shop.
A few points to note:
- Please check our event calendar for the dates and times of recycle swap shops – these do sometimes vary.
- We try to alternate between two venues in Rye: St Mary’s Centre, Lion St, and Tilling Green Community Centre, Mason Road.
- Please bring items before 11am, so there’s time for people to take them.
- All items MUST be 100% free and must be from domestic (not commercial) sources.
- Please try to bring things as early as possible and certainly before 10:15am
- If you have bulky items, like bikes or furniture, then please don’t bring these to the swap shop. Such items are better posted on Rye Freegle, which helps you get in touch with someone who wants them and can come to collect them.
- Don’t bring anything illegal!
- Don’t bring anything dangerous (no sharp knives, weapons, etc)
- No pets or livestock.
- No rubbish. Please don’t bring anything that really is no good to anyone. The Swap Shop is run a small group of local people who volunteer their time to organise these events and we don’t want to end up with a whole room full of rubbish to take to the dump!
- No mains electrical items. Battery-operated items are OK, and things like computer mice and keyboards. Nothing with a mains plug on it though!
Dates of next events can be viewed in our Event Calendar.